The investment to adopt HCI is often high if storage and server amortization cycles are distinct. Since HCI includes buying all server, storage, and networking some are made to select workloads to start HCI adoption, or fund options, to buy the whole infrastructure simultaneously. This is merely a monetary issue, but I’ve seen it happen several times while attempting to manage their budget sensibly. This slow down HCI adoption and result and may delay.
The ideal infrastructure that excels in every aspect does not exist. HCI is a good compromise for a Whole Lot of workloads but fails using the toughest ones — and what is usually considered strengths can easily become flaws.  
The constraints of HCI arise from precisely what makes it a good alternative for workloads and virtualization. In reality, it is not really designed to cover all type of workloads (think about large information by way of example). Additionally, not all applications scale exactly the same, meaning sometimes different kinds of tools are necessary to your own infrastructure (e.g. storage-only nodes for capacity). Last but not least focus on center or edge use cases, but are not able to pay them both concurrently or at a price that is reasonable. These constraints might be of importance today, but in the very long term that may change with unforeseen performance, ability, and technology requirements.

THE GOOD OF HCI

HCI is a great solution for organizations that are smaller, but the architecture imposes some trade-offs, restricting its possible in larger enterprises where there’s a established and sizeable environment to support. Put this way, HCI is the best example of the 80/20 principle 80% of the workloads are dynamic and a good match for HCI. The issue is that the remaining 20 percent of your infrastructure is predicted to grow exponentially with Artificial Intelligence/ Machine Learning (AI/ML), Internet of Things (IoT), advantage computing jobs and much more –all of that organizations are assessing now and that will impact business competitivity in the following years.
It is not perfect, although HCI is very popular with organizations of all sizes now! A compromise must be found between functionality, flexibility, usability, and cost. What is more, it is quite difficult to locate a single storage infrastructure that covers all use.

THE UGLY OF HCI

THE BAD OF HCI

User-friendliness is what organizations like about HCI. There’s no need to change infrastructure operations, allowing using the hypervisor the team is used to fewer complications around storage management. The infrastructure is simplified as a result of the modular approach that is scale-out for which every new node adds CPU, RAM, and storage. As a result of this, HCI delivers TCO figures that are good as well.

I had the prospect of being briefed by DataCore on their HCI solution. I like their approach, and I think it could address some of the problems I discuss in this blog.
Initially published on Juku.it